Here’s a quick preview of the final programme for Search Solutions 2014. Don’t forget that the deadline for early bird registration is Friday, October 31st. Hope to see you there!
SEARCH SOLUTIONS 2014
Thursday 27th November
BCS London HQ, Covent Garden
*** Early Bird Registration ends: Friday, October 31st***
Search Solutions is a special one-day event dedicated to the latest innovations in web & enterprise search. In contrast to other major industry events, Search Solutions aims to be highly interactive, with attendance strictly limited. The programme includes presentations, panels and keynote talks by influential industry leaders on novel and emerging applications in search and information retrieval.
NOTE: Search Solutions now offers a Tutorial Programme on Tuesday 26th November.
09:30 – 10:00 Registration and coffee
SESSION 1: WEB SEARCH CHALLENGES
* 10:10 – 10:35 Peter Mika (Yahoo!) Semantic Search at Yahoo
* 10:35 – 11:00 Christopher Semturs (Google) Web search at scale – more than just 10 blue links
* 11:00 – 11:25 Katja Hofmann (Microsoft Research) Learning to interact
11:25 – 12:00 BREAK
SESSION 2: OPEN-SOURCE SEARCH
* 12:00 – 12:25 Tom Mortimer (Flax) Elasticsearch and SolrCloud, a performance comparison
* 12:25 – 12:50 Iadh Ounis (University of Glasgow) Leveraging Terrier v4.0 for New Search Scenarios, from Smart Cities to Medical Search
12:50 – 14:00 LUNCH
SESSION 3: ENTERPRISE SEARCH
* 14:00 – 14:25 Jackson (UCL) Implementing Website Search in a Major University
* 14:25 – 14:50 Richard Boulton (Cabinet Office) Tailoring search across government content on GOV.UK
* 14:50 – 15:15 Dominic Oldman (British Museum) Contextual Semantic Search of Cultural Data
15:15 – 15:45 BREAK
SESSION 4: BEYOND SEARCH
* 15:45 – 16:10 Jussi Karlgren (Gavagai) How to tell what is going on (or not going on) – media monitoring in internet text is not about search but about keeping track
* 16:10 – 16:35 Richard Ranft (British Library) Exploring a million hours of sounds
* 16:35 – 17:00 Jochen Leidner (Thomson Reuters) Commercial Research, Development and Innovation in Information Access
* 17:00 – 17:30 Hot topics in search. Want to discuss your own hot topic? Join in, it’s a fishbowl session!
17:30 – 20:00 DRINKS RECEPTION
The event will also be followed by the IRSG AGM (from 18:00).
Search Solutions is organised by the Information Retrieval Specialist Group of the BCS and is held at the BCS Central London Office:
BCS, 1st Floor
The Davidson Building
5 Southampton Street
London, WC2E 7HA Map
Registration fees (including VAT at 20%) are as follows:
Early Bird Rates (until 23:59 on 31-Oct-2014)
* BCS member rate: £99
* Non-member rate: £129
Normal Rates (from 01-Nov-2014)
* BCS member rate: £119
* Non-member rate: £149
Registration fees include lunch and a copy of the proceedings. Tea and coffee will also be available throughout the day followed by a drinks reception in the evening.
For details of the tutorial programme and pricing, please refer to the Search Solutions Tutorials page.
Please register via BCS Online Registration.
- Search Solutions 2012: highlights and reflections
- Mining search logs for usage patterns (part 2)
- A bibliography for enterprise search?
- A language for search and discovery
- How do you measure site search quality?