The official announcement has yet to go out, but here’s a quick preview of the final programme for Search Solutions 2013. Don’t forget that the deadline for early bird registration ends on Wednesday, October 31st. Hope to see you there!
SEARCH SOLUTIONS 2013
Wednesday 27th November
BCS London HQ, Covent Garden
*** Early Bird Registration ends: Wednesday, October 31st***
Search Solutions is a special one-day event dedicated to the latest innovations in web & enterprise search. In contrast to other major industry events, Search Solutions aims to be highly interactive, with attendance strictly limited. The programme includes presentations, panels and keynote talks by influential industry leaders on novel and emerging applications in search and information retrieval.
NOTE: Search Solutions now offers a Tutorial Programme on Tuesday 26th November.
09:30 – 10:00 Registration and coffee
SESSION 1: THE CHANGING FACE OF SEARCH
* 10:10 – 10:35 Behshad Behzadi, Lead Technical Manager, Google Switzerland, Conversational Search
* 10:35 – 11:00 Dan Jackson, Senior Web Architect, UCL, The changing face of search at UCL
* 11:00 – 11:25 Nikolaos Nanas, Co-Founder, NOOWIT and Researcher at the Institute of Research and Technology Thessaly in Greece, Adaptive Information Filtering: from theory to practice
11:25 – 12:00 BREAK
SESSION 2: MORE THAN SEARCH
* 12:00 – 12:25 Henning Rode, Technical Lead Search, Textkernel, CV search at TextKernel
* 12:25 – 12:50 Sandra Collins, Director, Digital Repository of Ireland, Information Preservation and Access at the Digital Repository of Ireland
12:50 – 14:00 LUNCH
SESSION 3: UNDERSTANDING THE USER
* 14:00 – 14:25 Filip Radlinski, Applied Researcher, Microsoft Research, Sensitive Online Search Evaluation
* 14:25 – 14:50 Mounia Lalmas, Principal Research Scientist, Yahoo! Labs, An engaging click
* 14:50 – 15:15 Margaret Hanley, UX Consultant, Transform UK, Understanding users’ search intent
15:15 – 15:45 BREAK
SESSION 4: ENTERPRISE SEARCH
* 15:45 – 16:10 Helen Lippell, Strategic Metadata Manager, Press Association, Enterprise Search – How to triage problems quickly and prescribe the right medicine
* 16:10 – 16:35 Peter Wallqvist, Commercial Director, Ravn Systems, Universal Search and Social Networking – Exploiting the features of each to enhance the other
* 16:35 – 17:00 Kristian Norling, Enterprise Search Evangelist, Findwise, Reflections on the 2013 Enterprise Search Survey
* 17:00 – 17:30 Hot topics in search. Want to discuss your own hot topic? Join in, it’s a fishbowl session!
17:30 – 20:00 DRINKS RECEPTION
The event will also be followed by the IRSG AGM (from 18:00).
Search Solutions is organised by the Information Retrieval Specialist Group of the BCS and is held at the BCS Central London Office:
BCS, 1st Floor
The Davidson Building
5 Southampton Street
London, WC2E 7HA Map
Registration fees (including VAT at 20%) are as follows:
Early Bird Rates (until 23:59 on 31-Oct-2013)
* BCS member rate: £99
* Non-member rate: £129
Normal Rates (from 01-Nov-2013)
* BCS member rate: £119
* Non-member rate: £149
Registration fees include lunch and a copy of the proceedings. Tea and coffee will also be available throughout the day followed by a drinks reception in the evening.
For details of the tutorial programme and pricing, please refer to the Search Solutions Tutorials page.
Please register via BCS Online Registration.
- Designing Search Usability (tutorial at Search Solutions 2013)
- Search Solutions 2012: highlights and reflections
- New Informer – Summer 2013
- Search Solutions 2013: lineup announced!
- Tabs, facets & views: getting the interaction right