Just a quick reminder that the deadline for early bird registration for Search Solutions 2012 ends on Wednesday, October 31st. Full details of the confirmed programme (including the fishbowl session) are appended below.
SEARCH SOLUTIONS 2012
Thursday 29th November
BCS London HQ, Covent Garden
*** Early Bird Registration ends: Wednesday, October 31st***
Search Solutions is a special one-day event dedicated to the latest innovations in web & enterprise search. In contrast to other major industry events, Search Solutions aims to be highly interactive, with attendance strictly limited. The programme includes presentations, panels and keynote talks by influential industry leaders on novel and emerging applications in search and information retrieval.
NOTE: Search Solutions now offers a Tutorial Programme on Wednesday 28th November.
09:30 – 10:00 Registration and coffee
SESSION 1: WEB SEARCH CHALLENGES
- Milad Shokouhi, Applied Researcher, Microsoft Research, Time-Sensitive Query Trends in Bing Logs
- Alex Jaimes, Senior Research Scientist, Yahoo! Barcelona, What Can Search Tell Us? A Human-Centered View
11:10 -11:30 Coffee Break
SESSION 2: PUTTING THE USER FIRST
- Martin White, Managing Director, Intranet Focus Limited, It’s not about technology, it’s about people!
- Emma Bayne, Head of Systems Development, National Archives, Enhancing the Search Experience through Interface Design
- Kristian Norling, CTO, Findwise, What practitioners think about Enterprise Search
SESSION 3: BEYOND KEYWORD MATCHING: SEARCHING WITH TAXONOMIES, THESAURI & ONTOLOGIES
- Stella Dextre Clarke, ISKO chair, Thesauri and interoperability with other vocabularies
- Leo Sauermann, CEO and Founder, Gnowsis EU, Making Search Personal with NEPOMUK and Refinder
- Charlie Hull, CEO, Flax, Search,plus – building taxonomy, autoclassification and media monitoring tools with open source search software
15:30-16:00 Coffee Break
SESSION 4: THE FUTURE OF SEARCH
- Nicholas Kemp, Principal Scientist, DSTL, Technology Landscaping in DSTL
- Nick Patience, Director of Product Marketing & Strategy, Recommind, TBD
- Fishbowl session: Hot topics in search
17:30 – 20:00 DRINKS RECEPTION
The event will also be followed by the IRSG AGM (from 18:00).
CONFIRMED TUTORIALS (Weds 28 November)
Dr. Dell Zhang, Birkbeck, University of London
MapReduce Algorithms in Information Retrieval
Dr. John Tait, johntait.net ltd
Patent Searching and Landscaping
Dr. Michael Oakes, University of Sunderland
Applications of Text Processing
Dr. Tony Russell-Rose, UXLabs
Designing Search Usability
Search Solutions is organised by the Information Retrieval Specialist Group of the BCS and is held at the BCS Central London Office:
BCS, 1st Floor
The Davidson Building
5 Southampton Street
London, WC2E 7HA Map
Registration fees (including VAT at 20%) are as follows:
Early Bird Rates (until 23:59 on 31-Oct-2012)
- BCS member rate: £99
- Non-member rate: £129
- Student rate: £99
Normal Rates (from 01-Nov-2012)
- BCS member rate: £119
- Non-member rate: £149
- Student rate: £99
Registration fees include lunch and a copy of the proceedings. Tea and coffee will also be available throughout the day followed by a drinks reception in the evening.
For details of the tutorial programme and pricing, please refer to the Search Solutions Tutorials page.
Please register via BCS Online Registration.